If you’re a fan of Shark Tank, you probably delighted at the set changes which marked the start of Season 9. Among them, you probably noticed that the old red chairs had been replaced by some really swank white ones that looked ridiculously comfortable.
If you did a little research, you probably discovered that those are Eames replica lounge chairs.
Shark Tank isn’t the only place you might’ve spotted Eames replica chairs either. These lavish seats also show up regularly in films, gracing the sets of movies such as Casino Royale and Iron Man 2. Other TV shows have featured Eames chairs as well, including House and Frasier.
If you are longing for an Eames lounge chair of your own, you’re in the right place. In this Eames chair replica buying guide, we are going to go over what you need to know about shopping for a high-quality Eames-style chair for your own home.
But first, let’s talk a bit more about the history and design of this famous lounge chair.
A Brief History of the Eames Lounge Chair
Charles and Ray Eames introduced their iconic lounge chair to the market in 1956. The two-piece ensemble consists of the Eames Lounge (670) and Ottoman (671). Their designers had worked hard on the chair and ottoman for years before they were ready to be sold.
The chair was a divergence from the rest of the Eames line. Usually the pair sought to keep their furnishings within a more accessible price range. But the Eames Lounge Chair was never intended for the masses. It was aimed at an elite market of affluent consumers.
The goal for the chair was that it not only be functional, but also comfortable and inviting. In fact, Charles described it as having “the warm, receptive look of a well-used first baseman’s mitt.”
The result was a perfect marriage of form and function—a lounge chair that looks and feels as comfortable as it is stylish.
What Makes the Eames Lounge Chair a Retro Classic?
The high-quality materials as well as the distinctive design of the Eames Lounge Chair are what make it stand out. Ray and Charles Eames put great consideration into every detail of the chair’s construction, ensuring that its beauty was exquisite and it would stand the test of time.
While layers of plywood comprise the shells, they were finished during various periods of production with fine woods such as Brazilian rosewood, walnut, cherry and Palisander rosewood.
Among the most innovative elements of the chair is the way that the upholstery is attached to the plywood via a plastic backing. The clever design eliminates the need for bolts and screws on the shell, allowing for the wood finish to be unobstructed.
It didn’t take long for the Eames Lounge Chair to become an icon of its era. It was featured on NBC on the Arlene Francis Home show the same year it released, and it was marketed effectively through printed advertisements.
It is now considered an exemplary specimen of Modern design. If you wanted to show someone examples of Modern design in order to explain its basic principles and look, showing them an Eames Lounge Chair would be a good starting point.
Indeed, the Eames Lounge Chair has attained the status of legend, and early examples can even be viewed by visiting art and design museums. If you would like to see an authentic vintage Eames Lounge Chair on display, you can visit the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan, the Museum of Fine Arts Boston, or the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
Although the Eames Lounge Chair is readily associated with the mid-20th century when it was introduced, it is still in production today by the Herman Miller furniture company—the same company which originally manufactured and sold it. Since the early days, the design has remained the same. Even though the times have changed, the style and functionality of the chair and ottoman have remained timeless.
What Would an Authentic Eames Chair Cost You?
If you want an authentic Eames chair from Herman Miller, it is going to cost you a pretty penny. Direct from the Herman Miller site, you can expect to pay anywhere between $5,000-$10,000.
You’ll find similar prices for the authentic article if you look to purchase it through a third party.
If that is in your budget, by all means, go for it. But let’s face it. Most of us cannot shell out $5,000+ on a chair, no matter how luxurious it is.
Thankfully, you don’t have to. You can purchase a high-quality replica instead, enjoying the same lavish comfort at a fraction of the price.
Save Money While Enjoying Classic Eames Luxury With a High-Quality Eames Chair Replica
Reproduction Eames lounge chairs can be almost indistinguishable from the originals if they are well-constructed out of high-quality materials. But they generally retail for $2,500 or less, frequently closer to $1,000-$1,500.
So you may be paying a fifth or even a tenth what you would for the authentic Eames chair, but getting the same luxurious Modern beauty and comfort to add to your home or office.
What To Look For in an Eames Chair Replica
How can you know if you are purchasing an Eames chair replica which can measure up to an authentic Eames chair? Following are some key features to look for with regards to both the manufacturer and the chair itself.
- A trusted manufacturer which specializes in Modern furnishings. There are replica companies out there which have built reputations around their knowledge of the Modern period and their ability to reproduce authentic Modern furnishings with the highest degree of pinpoint accuracy. The more experience a company has with Eames chairs, the better you can expect the quality of their work to be.
- High-quality, matching materials. If you want to mimic the look of an authentic Eames Lounge Chair to the highest degree, you should shop for a replica chair which uses the same materials for the shell and the upholstery. As an example, the Palisander rosewood veneer used in the some of the authentic Eames chairs offers a very iconic look, particularly since Eames chose it to replace the Brazilian rosewood used in their earlier chairs (the grain is a close match). So if you can find a reproduction chair with Palisander rosewood on the shell, you know you’ll be getting a very authentic look.
- Solid construction and attention to detail. The stitching, clips, rings and zippers should all be sturdy and correctly situated so that the appearance of the chair is correct (you should not be able to see bolts and screws) and so that the furnishing is durable. Consider that even vintage Eames chairs are still functional today. Your replica Eames chair should also last you decades.
- The right dimensions. Eames Lounge Chairs are manufactured in two sizes: Classic/”Standard” and Tall. The ottoman comes in just one set of dimensions.Here are the official measurements from Herman Miller:
|Eames Lounge Chair||Classic||Tall|
- There should be a strong warranty backing your purchase. If a company isn’t ready to stand behind its replica, that gives you cause to question its quality. Dependable customer service is also a must in case you do need to fall back on the warranty.
- Check the shipping and returns policies and costs so you know what to expect. How long will it take to receive your chair? Is shipping free? If you need to make a return, what will that run you?
Our Recommended Eames Chair Replica
Eternity Modern Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman
Eternity Modern is a company which focuses specifically on creating high-quality mid-century reproduction furnishings. Because they focus exclusively on that narrow niche, they are experts in the small details. This allows them to make pieces which don’t just resemble the original, but which are literally identical in every way.
Here is why we recommend the Eternity Modern Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman:
- As mentioned already, this company is dedicated to the Modern niche. They have 13 years of experience in designing Modern replicas, and that expertise shows in the fine craftsmanship of their Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman.
- A number of upholstery options are available. For the veneer on the shell, you can choose from walnut, oak or Palisander rosewood. Like the original chair, this replica is available in standard and tall sizes.
- You can fully customize this reproduction chair if you wish. You have the option of supplying your own material to use for the upholstery. That means that you can completely customize this piece, expressing your personality and matching your décor.
- Shipping is free for orders over $1,000. So you do not need to worry about extra charges when you order your chair. Pricing on the chair itself is very reasonable, especially if you order when there is a promotion on. You have the option of paying for your chair in its entirety upfront, or paying in instalments.
- If your chair arrives damaged or doesn’t match your order in any way, you can take advantage of the 15-day no-hassle return policy. Your purchase is also backed by a 5-year warranty. This is comparable to the warranty period offered by Herman Miller.
- These replica chairs are not mass-produced. They are individually made to order. While that does mean that you may need to wait anywhere from 8-12 weeks for your chair to be ready, you can rest assured that those 8-12 weeks have been spent perfecting every exquisite detail of your replica Eames chair.
While an Eames Lounge Chair replica from Eternity Modern will never be the authentic article, it is very much the “real thing.”
When you take a seat on this beautiful chair, you’ll be indulging in the same sumptuous design and quality that you would get if you paid the full price tag for an Eames chair from Herman Miller.
Where Can You Get Your Own High-Quality Eames Chair Replica?
An Eames Lounge Chair replica can become the Modern centrepiece for your study, living room, lounge, or another part of your home. If you are ready to kick back and relish the sumptuous iconic luxury of your very own Eames chair, click below to order now.